Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Preschool Success!

Ella's first day of preschool went pretty smoothly. I didn't anticipate anything else, but that doesn't change that it did in fact go well. She seemed to enjoy herself, made a new friend "the girl in the pink shirt." We later learned, when running into her at McDonald's that her name is Brooklyn.
The only questionable moment came prior to our first day of school when I discovered she was to bring a "large" school bag. What?!? Her great nana has given her a darling preschool-sized (loosely translated appropriately sized) backpack! I thought about bucking the system and sending her with it anyway, but decided I neadn't be "that" mom that thought she and her children are above the rules. (But really when you're right why do you have to follow bad rules!) So I ordered her the "small" (I know it's not the large, but it's clearly big enough for a 3-year old, she does NOT need the same size backpack as a high schooler). Since it had not arrived this morning when it was time to go I bent her school folder so it fit in her mini-pack and we went with it. Well, when I got there I realized I'M the one that hangs up the backpack....I'M the one that takes the folder out and I'M the one that puts the folder back in. Why then, do they car what size it is....and why does she NEED a bag anyhow? Can't I carry her folders and artwork in my hand? So when we left I asked if I was being an annoying parent if she kept the small bag. They didn't care. So we're back on! Woo Hoo!!!!! I promise to continue questioning the rules for the next 18+ years....and to follow them when I deam it appropriate! :) Only kidding! I'm mostly a rule follower so I plan to attempt to continue as such. So sa it is, Ella's doing well. The teacher tells me she was good, "hugged everybody." Not suprising, she's a little wierd.
Mia and I had a great time. Played at Terri's for a while with Matthew and Carson. Heidi Terri and I enjoyed having the babies with full attention. Then we came home for a quick lay down and some one-on-one time. We all met at McDonald's for after-school lunch. Ella, Mia and I and four other kids that all go to a different pre-school. Ella is the only one of her friends, or my friends' kids that is going to the preschool she is. I think it's kind of exciting, she'll get to make all new friends, and feel free to play with whomever she wants.

Addie is over this afternoon, they went to the park for a while with Heidi and are now playing dress up (I broke down and bought a princess dress and a "ballet dress" - a leotard with a tutu) and pretend.

Chris is in KC for the day today, he had a lunch with some higher-ups to help direct the movement of the company. What an honor!

Girls night for me tonight...woo hoo!

1 comment:

Esue said...

You SOOO are going to be THAT parent. :) How fun that L is in pre-k! I used to crack up at the pre-k kids at Lejeune that would walk around with backpacks to their knees...so cute!