Sunday, January 20, 2008

Journey for a church

I've been having a hard time with "the church" lately. While I am completely submissive to the truth that I, too, am part of the church, and am thusly play a part in the imperfection of the church, I am seeking like heck for a place to call home. Just before leaving Texas, and by "just" I mean a few months, I found a place where I could seek God in my most raw form, a place that welcomed me with such wide, open arms, and with so much love that to this day I call Joshua's Crossing "my" church. However, I know with certainty that we are called to be a part of a community, and that being in a community of Believers actually requires actual physical fellowship with others. Which means I need a new church home.
My initial search in Fort Dodge was comical at best. I found myself at one point envisioning if it would be possible to jump over the back of the pew I was in and sprint for the door without causing too much of a ruckus (for the record I stayed throughout the service instead of attempting such an escape). After moving to Webster City I settled on a place about 20 minutes Northwest of town. It is an evangelical church with which I had a few fundamentals issues, but was willing to try out for the good teaching and fellowship. The fall Sunday school session began what turned out to be a slippery slope of frustration for me. The series was focused on how to "share Jesus with people in the workplace." It became apparent that the sole reason for relationship was to be so that you could share the gospel at some point. The most telling quote I think I can share with you from this series is "she looked very secular." I ask you....what the hell does "secular" look like. Judgement seeps from this statement and I started feeling like I was being asked to judge others and expect them to change. There was no loving others for the pure, raw reason that Jesus loves us and we are thusly called to love. Save for the few months that Chris went to Joshua's Crossing with me before he was shooed off to Arizona he does not attend church with me. The breaking point for me came when we were at Ella's Christmas pageant and Chris was approached by a member who said to him "It's good to see you here." As if finally he had made the "right" decision.
I have since been attending a church in the Northwest part of Ames that seems to seep love and acceptance. I am currently weighing the effort/reward factor of the 40 minute drive...less for the travel time and more for the obstacle it may place concerning our involvement in fellowship and non-Sunday activities.
I've learned a lot in my quest over the past year and a half, frustrating as it may be. Most importantly....God calls us to love. Unconditionally and unquestionably. That we are all worthy of love because God so chose to breathe the breath of life into our souls. By suggesting to someone that "God can change you" we are assuming something needs to be changed. And who am I to assume this soul that God created needs changing. Jesus never asked anyone to change, nor did he pass judgement. So I strive to do the same. I fall short more often that I succeed - but my quest is that I might see people through Christ's eyes, and love them solely because they are.

No comments: